Cendres+Métaux Group - since 1885
Origins (1885 – 1950)
- 1885 Louis Aufranc opened a small precious metal smelter in Biel/Bienne.
- 1924 "Cendres & Métaux S.A." was founded as a stock corporation, resulting from the merger of Aufranc and Zanelli. The company was based in the Eisengasse, a street in the city centre of Bienne. Cendres+Métaux primarily focused on processing scrap containing precious metals from the watch casing industry as well as old pieces of jewellery, the aim was to recover the precious metals. "Cendres" is the French word for waste that has been burnt to ashes, while "Métaux" is the French word for the metals concerned.
The production of alloys for the dental and jewellery industry was progressively established and the company also started to produce wedding rings and dental attachments.
Internationalisation (1960 – 2000)
- 1961: A subsidiary, Cendres+Métaux Italia S.r.l., is founded in Milan.
- 1961: The company moves into a new production and administration building at 122 Bözingenstrasse, Biel/Bienne, (current location).
- 1970: A subsidiary, Cendres+Métaux France SAS, is founded in Paris / La Varenne St. Hilaire.
- 1974: The company moves into additional premises at 122 Bözingenstrasse, Biel/Bienne.
- 1986: The company inaugurates its new refining plant at 7 David Moningstrasse, Biel/Bienne. This plant makes it possible for waste containing precious metals to be processed in an environmentally friendly manner while at the same time minimising costs for the customer.
- Since 1993, Cendres+Métaux has been developing and producing products in accordance with quality assurance standards ISO 9001 and thus complies with the EU Guidelines for medical products.
- 1996: Cendres+Métaux is certified in accordance with EN 46001 (now ISO 13485) for medical products. In the same year Cendres+Métaux obtains the MDD 93/42/EEC CE certification.
- 1997: Cendres+Métaux implements the SAP R/3 enterprise resource planning system.
In the same year, the Cendres+Métaux laboratory is awarded its analysis methods accreditation - EN 45001 (now ISO 17025).
- 2000: The company implemented EKAS guideline 6508 for safety at work.
Expansion (2000 – today)
- 2002: A new production facility is inaugurated, doubling the previous production area.
- 2002: Cendres+Métaux Holding SA is founded in Biel/Bienne.
Cendres+Métaux SA in Bienne, with all their affiliated firms, becomes a subsidiary of the holding.
- 2003: The company moves into its new five-storey administration annex. This provides Cendres+Métaux with a further 1000 m2 of gross floor space and 250m2 for logistics.
- 2004: Cendres+Métaux becomes a Customer Competence Centre (CCC) certified by SAP. The aim of this voluntary certification is to optimize the partnership between Cendres+Métaux and SAP in all areas.
- 2004: Inauguration of the new entrance hall and completion of the overall renovation and modernisation works at the 122 Bözingenstrasse head office in Biel/Bienne.
- 2005: Extension of the existing Management System with the certification of an Environment Management System according to ISO 14001:2004.
- 2008: Acquisition of Galétan SA and Oscillor SA by the Cendres+Métaux Group, Biel/Bienne.
- 2009: Acquisition of Metalor Dental AG by the Cendres+Métaux Group, Biel/Bienne.
- 2014: The company moves into additional production premises. This provides additional 4212m2 of gross floor space.